Monday, December 5, 2011

A Response to "The Arrival"


This graphic novel was much more difficult to read and understand because it was wordless. Reading this book reminded me a lot of going to an art museum. I have never been one to be able to accurately interpret paintings; I have never been able to deconstruct a painting to see all that it has to offer. Similarly, I was unsure how accurately I understood the images in this novel; therefore, I am unsure how well I understood the narrative. 
From what I was able to understand, the novel portrays an immigrant coming to a new country, perhaps America. I like how scary the novel portrays the land. It leaves one's imagination to wonder if it is actually a fantastical land or if the immigrant man just views the land this way because it is so incredibly foreign to him. 
I appreciated the "friend" he made who was a little white creature, it seemed to be his saving grace. However, I had a hard time figuring out what he was a metaphor for, or if he even was a metaphor. 
Overall, the visuals in this novel were overwhelmingly powerful. I liked that there was this unknown force throughout the novel and it's hard for the audience to decipher what that was. I can assume it is the government or officials constantly trying to keep tabs on the protagonist to make sure he is abiding by the law. 
             I think this novel would be very suitable for adolescents. It allows them to interpret without the limitations of text. I can envision many activities that could stem from this novel, including having students create dialogue for the novel. Additionally, I think this novel appeals greatly to visually learners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment